I love Body Butter Bars. They are easy and fun to make and they are very effective moisturizers. They stay solid at room temperature but melt easily when applied to the skin.
If you have any problem areas, such as cracked heals or dry elbows it will heal these very quickly. A Body Butter Bar will get your legs ready for shorts weather and provide your skin with some natural sun protection. I use only 3 natural ingredients – shea butter, avocado oil and beeswax.
Shea Butter adds a luxurious creaminess to any body product. It’s naturally high in vitamins A, E and F and is perfect for sensitive skin. never buy refined shea butter, the process destroys 95% of these awesome vitamins! It’s rich enough to be used on its own as a skin and hair moisturizer. Shea butter aids in the skin’s natural collagen production and contains oleic, stearic, palmitic, and linolenic acids that protect and nourish the skin. It reduces wrinkles, heals chapped lips, and speeds healing. Shea butter has anti-inflammatory properties and a natural SPF of 6. Native to West Africa, the Karite tree which produces shea nuts, has been providing the West African people with sun protection and healing for thousands of years. It is common practice there to apply raw shea butter to protect newborn babies skin – that is how mild it is. Above all, purchasing shea butter from Ghana, West Africa makes the lives a bit better for the women and children there.
Avocado Oil is one of my favorite all around oils. It is a must in most of my skin preparations for good reason. I have experienced an incredible transformation in the look and feel of my skin – it’s silkier, smoother and has a quenched feeling. Avocado oil is extremely concentrated in monounsaturated fatty acids, phytosterols, potassium, magnesium, vitamins A, D & E and other antioxidants. It is believed to penetrate through the epidermis and into the dermis layer of our skin, increasing collagen levels and has a natural SPF of 15.
Beeswax smells amazing! It is another one of my favorite ingredients. It’s used in a moisturizer to lock the moisture in your skin and to add firmness to the Body Butter Bar.
1/3 cup Shea Butter
1/3 cup Avocado Oil
1/3 cup Organic Yellow Beeswax Pastilles
1. Melt the beeswax and avocado oil (not the shea butter) in a double boiler or in a 1 litre glass Pyrex measuring cup over a pot of water with about an inch of water in it, on medium heat. Stir occasionally (a chopstick works great) until the last of the beeswax is just melted. Don’t overheat or you will cook the goodness out of your oil.
2. Turn off your element and add your shea butter (shea butter must be melted slowly on low heat so I add it at the end, this prevents it from turning gritty) stirring lightly until melted. You can also add some pure essential oil at this point if you desire. Remember though, any citrus oils will increase your skin’s sensitivity to the sun.
3. Immediately and carefully pour into a muffin tin, silicone cupcake liners, silicone mold or soap molds.
4. Leave to set up & cool completely. You can put them in the fridge to cool faster.
5. Release from molds, store in a cool place in a plastic container or metal tins. Body Butter Bars make for a mess free lotion to carry in your purse and gym bag.
This post contains affiliate links from which I may earn a commission to help pay for this site, at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I have personally used and liked.